Jeppe Old Boys was born in 1908, when a group of ex Jeppe scholars met once a week to play
table tennis and socialise. The club grew at a steady pace and in 1922 cricket and soccer
were introduced. Four years later, hockey and tennis were also incorporated. As the club had
no grounds at the time, sports were played wherever fields became available.
In the late 1930s the club was formally established in New York Road, Kensington, but was sold during
the Second World War when the club purchased 29 acres of land in Bedfordview. There was no clubhouse at
the time and members used the ‘Spaarwater’ farmhouse as their watering hole. Tennis members usually had
a mid-afternoon break and would rush over to acquire one of the only five chairs available. Teas were
usually provided for the ladies. A garage and tool shed alongside was fitted with three showers and two
benches, and served as the change room for the cricket, hockey and rugby sections. The school switched
from soccer to rugby in 1930 and Quondam thus commenced with rugby in the late 1940s. In 1949 the
clubhouse and change rooms were completed and club life really took off, with a manager’s office and
swimming pool added to the facilities.
By then, other Old Boys’ Clubs had been established and the camaraderie that began at school
continued, as did the rivalries. Long-standing friendships developed, members met and married, and
their children grew up at Quondam. The Jeppe family had arrived!
The club continued to grow from strength to strength, with numerous sporting sides and social members.
In 1947, the Rhodes Park Swimming Club discovered that 99% of their members were from Jeppe Schools.
They approached council and changed their name to the Jeppe Quondam Swimming and Waterpolo Club. Later,
badminton, kayak and running sections were added and a toastmasters chapter was started, to show that
the club wasn’t only about ‘braaivleis and rugby’. This was amateur sport at its peak.
In 1968 the provincial council expropriated a strip of land on the south side and the rugby field,
some of the parking ground, the swimming pool and the manager’s house were relocated. In 1969, squash
courts were built and the first Quondam Olympics was held.
Today the club, now called the Jeppe Quondam sports and social club, is set in magnificent grounds
and located close to airports, major business centres and the main freeway network.
It not only offers a variety of sport, but also has various venues
for hire for conferences, banquets, parties, cocktail functions and more.